Learn what to expect and how to adapt during Hip Replacement recovery
Total hip replacement is a major surgery, but one of the most rewarding surgeries with almost 99% positive outcomes. After your hip replacement, you must know what to expect from your joint and what changes you need to bring for a speedy recovery. Following your doctor’s advice – maintaining your exercise routine, eating healthy diet, and watching for any sign of infection will help you in achieving successful total hip replacement. Every individual is different, so recovery time may also differ in different patients.
With advancements of techniques and pain medicines, patient can walk after hip replacement on the same day of surgery with support. Your doctor may advice pillow between the legs and knee brace initially and continue for one month. Your hip strengthening exercises are started at this time.
Mobility After Hip Replacement
- 1 – 3 days After Surgery: Patient is able to go to the washroom with help of support and can walk with support independently.
- 4 – 12 days After Surgery: This is an important time when the patient can walk with support inside the house and continue the exercises as advised. Also patient must look for any sign of infection like redness, excessive swelling or pain, high grade fever with chills.
- 12-14 days After Surgery: During this time your doctor will Call you for follow visit and your sutures or staples will be removed. After suture removal, you can take your shower. In case special dressings have been used, you can bathe anytime after surgery.
- 3 – 6 Weeks After Surgery: During this period you may be permitted light activities and also walk without support. Stair climbing is allowed after 3 weeks and driving after 6 weeks.
- 10 weeks – 1 Year: Most patients are able to do routine daily activities during this period. Generally, the pain goes during this period. Patient is walking without support and follows hip strengthening exercises. Travel can be planned during this period. He / She can also resume sexual activities after consulting your surgeon / doctor.
- After one year of surgery: Your doctor may call you for a follow-up visit at 1 year of surgery to get check X-rays. Subsequently, you are advised early follow ups and X-rays. Generally the implants last more than 30 years Now a days. But you must take care of any loosening or infection. Any new pain arising in the Hip or symptoms of infections will require follow up with your doctor.