Most common cause of limitation of physical activity in elderly is knee pain due to damage of knee joints. Osteoarthritis of knee is an age related wear and tear due to rubbing of joint surfaces leading to knee damage. Not only it hampers day to day activities, pain due to knee damage may be unbearable. Joint damage is irreversible and thus it is important to prevent it. In severe cases, damage to knees require total knee replacement surgery. Here are some do’s and don’ts for patients of Knee Osteoarthritis.
Do’s of Knee Osteoarthritis
- Physical activity: Inactivity leads to muscle weakness which increases knee pain. Regular physical activity and exercise helps in decreasing knee pain and also increases knee movement. Physical activity including walking, swimming and cycling are good options.
- Warm up before exercise: Start your exercises with gentle stretching which help greasing your joint and reduce pain during weight bearing.
- Increasing muscle strength: Strengthening of the muscle decreases stress on knee joint and helps prevent pain and swelling of the joint.
- Weight reduction: Obesity leads to increase in rubbing and damage of knee joint. Even small reduction in weight lead to significant improvement in knee pain. Aim for weight reduction by healthy and nutritious diet and exercise.
- Proper shoe wear: Proper fit shoes or soft shoes helps to decrease load on the knees and decreases rubbing of joint.
- Consult your doctor: Expert advice from doctor helps to decrease pain and swelling and increase activity and function. Also supplements started timely maintain bone health. Timely intervention helps to prevent the knee damage.
Don’ts of Knee Osteoarthritis
- High impact Activities: Activity like running, jumping, squatting, sitting cross legged, climbing stairs increase wear and tear of the knee joint. Also activities on hard surfaces damages the knee joint.
- Ignore your symptoms: Osteoarthritis of knee involves slow damage of the joint. Initially symptoms may be mild but needs intervention to prevent permanent damage. Timely doctor’s consultation and Lifestyle modification can prevent joint damage.
- Shy of taking stick: In case of advanced knee damage one may take the support of stick for movement to reduce further damage and also prevent tendency to fall and Bony injuries.
- Myths regarding joint replacement: Timely knee replacement improves quality of life and activity and leads to faster recovery. Various myths are present in the society regarding joint replacement surgery which leads to delay in surgery and hampers quality of life.
- Never ignore your knee pain
- Follow the do’s and don’ts and have active lifestyle and prevent joint damage
- Doctor consultation when required
For more queries, you may consult our expert surgeon Dr. Manuj Wadhwa.